According to officials from the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, a sperm whale died along the shores of Samal on Monday after ingesting plastic materials.
The sperm whale had eaten plastic objects such as cellophane, wires, ropes, fishnets, and hardwood –causing its death.
The whale’s body was found in Barangay Miranda last Saturday. The officials decided the preservation and display of the whale’s bones would be facilitated by the Bone Collector Museum.
The president of the Bone Collector Museum, Darell Blatchey, said that most of the whales and dolphins being preserved by the museum died from human activities. He also shared that only 4 out of 53 whales and dolphins they have recovered died of natural causes.
Sperm whales are considered vulnerable species by the Encyclopedia of Life. This means their population has a high chance of being endangered unless the circumstances that threaten their survival and reproduction improve.
Visit and follow our website: Trending News Portal
© Trending News Portal